"This Hierarchy is composed of Those Who have triumphed over matter, and Who have achieved the goal by the very self-same steps that individuals tread today. These spiritual personalities, these adepts and Masters, have wrestled and fought for victory and mastery upon the physical plane, and struggled with the miasmas, the fogs, the dangers, the troubles, the sorrows and pains of everyday living. They have trodden every step of the path of suffering, have undergone every experience, have surmounted every difficulty, and have won out . . . Their apprehension of the freedom that comes through sacrifice of the form by the medium of the purifactory fires, suffices to give Them a firm hand, an ability to persist even when the form may seem to have undergone a sufficiency of suffering, and a love that triumphs over all setbacks, for it is founded on patience and experience. These Elder Brothers of humanity are characterized by a love which endures, and which acts ever for the good of the group; by a knowledge which has been gained through a millennia of lives, in which They have worked Their way from the bottom of life and of evolution well nigh to the top; by an experience which is based on time itself and a multiplicity of personality reactions and interactions; by a courage which is the result of that experience, and which, having itself been produced by ages of endeavor, failure, and renewed endeavor, and having in the long run led to triumph, can now be placed at the service of the race; by a purpose which is enlightened and intelligent, and which is co-operative, adjusting itself to the group and hierarchical plan and thus fitting in with the purpose of the Planetary Logos . . ." (Initiation, Human and Solar, p. 25)
"This Hierarchy of Brothers of Light still exists, and the work goes steadily on. They are all in physical existence, either in dense physical bodies, such as many of the Masters employ, or in etheric bodies, such as the more exalted helpers of the Lord of the World occupy. It is of value for men to remember that They are in physical existence, and to bear in mind that They exist upon this planet with us, controlling its destinies, guiding its affairs, and leading all its evolutions on to an ultimate perfection." (Initiation, Human and Solar, p. 32)
- "This Hierarchy of forces has four pre-eminent lines of work:
- To develop self-consciousness in all beings.
- To develop consciousness in the three lower kingdoms. As is well known, the five kingdoms of nature on the evolutionary arc might be defined as follows: the mineral kingdom, the vegetable kingdom, the animal kingdom, the human kingdom, and the spiritual kingdom. All these kingdoms embody some type of consciousness, and it is the work of the Hierarchy to develop these types to perfection through the adjustment of Karma, through the agency of force, and through the providing of right conditions.
- To transmit the will of the Planetary Logos. They act as the transmitter to men and devas or angels, of the will of the Planetary Logos, and through Him of the Solar Logos.
- To set an example to humanity." (Initiation, Human and Solar, p. 20)
- "The Hierarchy works only with the spiritual nature or with the soul of humanity, and -- to the Master -- the form is regarded as relatively of no importance." (Esoteric Healing, p. 661)
"The fact of the existence of the Hierarchy and its supreme Head, the Christ, is consciously recognized by hundreds of thousands today, though still denied by the orthodox. So many know this truth, and so many people of integrity and worth are co-operating consciously with the Members of the Hierarchy that ecclesiastical antagonisms, and the belittling comments of the concrete minded are of no avail. Men are moving out from under doctrinal authority into direct, personal and spiritual experience; they are coming under the direct authority which contact with Christ and His disciples, the Masters, ever confers." (The Problems of Humanity, p. 145)
"For millions of years the Hierarchy has stood in silence behind world events, occupied with the following work -- work which will eventually be carried on exoterically instead of esoterically:
- The Hierarchy stands as a wall between humanity and excessive evil. Forget not that as humanity is thus protected, that protection extends to all the subhuman kingdoms, of which the fourth kingdom, the human, is the Macrocosm. The excessive evil, emanating from cosmic sources, requires the trained skill of the Hierarchy and the fiat of Shamballa to prevent it flooding over disastrously.
- The Hierarchy works constantly at the task of awakening the consciousness aspect in all forms, so that it is awakened, expanded and intelligently employed.
- The Hierarchy directs world events, as far as mankind will permit (for the free will and free decision of mankind may not be ignored), so that the unfolding consciousness may express itself through developing and adequate social, political, religious and economic world forms. They give direction; They throw light; They impress those who are in contact with Them, and through the inflow of ideas, and through revelation, They definitely influence the tide of human affairs.
- The Hierarchy directs and controls, more than is realized, the unfolding cyclic cultures, and their resultant civilizations. These can then provide adequate forms, temporarily useful for the emerging soul of humanity. The format of cultures and civilizations receives special attention.
- The Hierarchy receives and transmits energies and consequent forces from Shamballa, with resultant effects within the Hierarchy itself, and also with effects upon humanity and upon the soul of all things to be found in all kingdoms.
- The Hierarchy receives that esoteric 'Fire of God' which brings to an end cycles, ideologies, organizations and civilizations, when the due and right time comes. This They do in order to make place for that which is better and which will prove adequate and not limiting to the awakening consciousness and the emerging life.
- The Hierarchy prepares men for initiation by:
a. Receiving them into Ashrams of the Masters.
b. Offering Their disciples opportunity to serve in relation to the emerging Plan.
c. Inaugurating through the means of disciples of the period those new presentations of the training needed for initiation. Each major cycle receives new forms of the same ancient, yet basic, teaching. This present one is such a cycle, and much of my own work is in connection with this." (The Externalisation of the Hierarchy, p. 519/520
"The Hierarchy is a great fighting body today, fighting for the soul of men, fighting all that blocks the expansion of the human consciousness, fighting all that limits human freedom (I said not license), and fighting to remove those factors and barriers which militate against the return of the Christ and the emergence of the Hierarchy as a fully functioning body on earth. There is nothing weak, vacillating, sentimental or neutral in the attitude of the Hierarchy; this must be grasped by humanity, and the strength and insight as well as the love of the Hierarchy must be counted upon." (The Externalisation of the Hierarchy, p. 550/1)